Want to spice up your grilled cheese?! Give this Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese with Heirloom Tomato recipe a try! Fresh tomatoes are covered in melted havarti and cheddar cheeses, then nestled between crispy pieces of garlic bread for the ultimate sandwich.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
If there was ever a time for grilled cheese sandwiches on the reg, it’s the year 2020. I don’t know about you, but I’ve been craving comfort food big time over the past few months.
I have especially enjoyed revisiting some old reliables, including pasta, ravioli, and other dishes that remind me of my childhood. Back when things were a little easier, ya know?
One of my favorite meals growing up was a classic grilled cheese! And now that I’m rediscovering all of the best comfort foods of yore, I figured I should make a fancy pants adult grilled cheese for all of you.
Of course, I included a veggie in there, by way of fresh heirloom tomatoes that many of you are probably seeing at the farmers market or harvesting from your backyard at the moment. I also upgraded the bread! Before throwing it on the griddle, I spread some homemade garlic butter on it.
Wait a second, whaaa?! Yep, it’s exactly what you’re thinking. This is a garlic bread grilled cheese, my friends! Talk about the ultimate comfort food for when the outside world is just too heavy and the last thing you want to do is make a complicated meal. I hope you enjoy this sandwich as much as I do!
How to Make Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese
Sure, the recipe name may sound fancy, but the process is incredibly easy. First, get the best bread you can find, like a loaf from your neighborhood bakery if you can swing it. Cut two thick slices. Next, use a fork to mash some minced garlic into room temp butter. Spread this delectable mixture on one side of each piece of bread.
Heat up a skillet or griddle. Place one of the bread slices butter side down on the skillet. Add a piece of cheddar, a juicy tomato slice (or two), then a piece of havarti, and put the last bread slice butter side up on top. Cover the sandwich, and cook for a few minutes on each side until the cheese is melted. ENJOY!
- My favorite type of bread for garlic bread grilled cheese is sourdough. I am a millennial after all.
- Wondering what is a good cheese for a grilled cheese sandwich? I like using sharp cheddar cheese, but recently I had a grilled cheese with havarti and now I’m hooked. In this recipe, I use both.
- For perfectly melted cheese and even cooking, cover the skillet while the sandwich is cooking. You can also just cover the sandwich directly if you are making it on a flat griddle instead.
- The garlic butter can be made up to several days in advance. Just keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to make your sandwich, and make some extra butter if you think you’ll make a few garlic grilled cheese sandwiches throughout the week. (You will.)
- If you take my suggestion to get some loaves of bread from your local bakery, I also recommend investing in a good bread knife. I almost sliced my hand open too many times before I got one. Game changer!
Craving some more easy main dishes while you’re here? Check out the Spinach Basil Pesto Quesadillas, Ancho Chile Black Bean Sweet Potato Tacos, and One Pot Veggie Mac and Cheese.
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese with Heirloom Tomato
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter - softened
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- Salt - to taste
- 4 slices sourdough bread - or other bread of choice
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese - more to taste
- 2 slices havarti cheese - more to taste
- 4 slices fresh heirloom tomato - more to taste
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Use a fork to mash together the garlic and butter in a small bowl. Add salt to taste. Spread some butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down, in the skillet. Add a slice of cheddar cheese on top, followed by two tomato slices and a slice of havarti cheese. Top the sandwich with another slice of bread, butter side up. Cover the skillet, lower the heat to medium, and cook for a few minutes (3-5) on each side until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the sandwich from the skillet and repeat step 2 with the rest of the ingredients. Keep the sandwiches warm on a plate covered with foil or a skillet lid if needed. Cut the sandwiches in half before eating, and enjoy.
- You can make the garlic butter up to a few days in advance. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to make the sandwiches.
Have a good week! – Lizzie
I love grilled cheese! I’m looking forward to making this.
Lizzie Streit, MS, RDN
Yay! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!