Last Updated on
Herbed. Cream. Cheese. Need I say more?! Ok fine, I’ll say a little more.
Spring has FINALLYYYY SPRUNG! And I could not be happier. This weekend we are supposed to experience our first 60 degree day in over 6 whole months. I cannot wait!
So this month’s Recipe Redux theme, dining al fresco, came at the perfect time. We were challenged to come up with something to bring to a picnic in the warm months ahead. I originally planned to make mini cucumber sandwiches that had cucumber slices as the “bread” but let’s just say that didn’t work out too well. The cucumber slices seemed to have a watery coating that prevented the herbed cream cheese from sticking, and when I bit into one of these faux mini sandwiches, it was a mess! Cream cheese shot everywhere.
So I eventually reached for the loaf of Dave’s Killer Bread in my fridge and set out to recreate this recipe into a real sandwich ;-). Plus, I was pretty committed to the ingredients I was using. I couldn’t just let the cucumbers, radishes, and whipped cream cheese seasoned with fresh dill (YUM) go to waste. So, serendipity won, and these mini tea-party-esque sandwiches were born.
I actually LOVE how they turned out! And don’t you worry, you will still get a good dose of veggies by eating these Mini Cucumber Sandwiches with Herbed Cream Cheese.
I also discovered a helpful veggie sandwich making hack while preparing this recipe. Since I had already sliced the cucumbers and radishes into thin circles, I simply quartered them to use for the sandwich filling. When I was putting together the sandwiches, I noticed the thinly sliced quarters were much more uniform and flat than roughly chopped cucumber and radish pieces. So, they laid on the slices of bread better, and made it easier to top the filling with another slice of bread. I imagine that slicing and dicing the veggies into even smaller pieces would make the sandwich stay together very well.
Another key part of the recipe is making the herbed cream cheese spreadable and soft to mix well with the veggies. I did not realize how simple making homemade whipped cream cheese is! A couple minutes and a hand mixer is all you need. Enjoy!
Mini Cucumber Sandwiches with Herbed Cream Cheese
- 2 medium cucumbers - scrubbed
- 6 small radishes - scrubbed and trimmed
- 4 oz cream cheese - softened at room temp
- 1/2 lemon - juiced
- 3 heaping tbsp fresh dill - chopped
- 8 slices bread - whole grain, multigrain, or seeded
- Slice the cucumbers and radishes into 1/2" circles. Quarter the circles. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the softened cream cheese, lemon, and fresh dill. Using a hand mixer, blend for 1 to 2 minutes or until the mixture is soft and spreadable. Add more lemon juice and dill to taste.
- Add the cucumbers and radishes to the bowl. Mix until the veggies are coated. You may find that you need to add more vegetables, or take out some of the cream cheese to start. Use your judgement to figure out how coated you want your veggies to be.
- Build the sandwiches by topping 4 slices of bread with the veggie filling. You may choose to spread a small amount of herbed cream cheese on the bread too. Top each slice with another piece of bread, and cut each larger sandwich into 4 mini sandwiches.
Pin these Mini Cucumber Sandwiches with Herbed Cream Cheese to make later!
Cheers to warm weather and sandwiches under the sun!