Last Updated on
Creamy, comforting, and flavorful, Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce is a fun alternative to tomato sauce for pasta night! This version is dairy free, and suitable for vegan and paleo diets.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
I wish my backyard pepper plants would hurry up and produce some fruit already, because I am READY for pepper recipes!
Will and I use a lot of bell peppers in the kitchen, and roasting is one of my favorite ways to prepare them. It’s not Will’s fav, but that’s OK…more for me ;-).
Last year, I posted about how I make my Easy Roasted Red Peppers, and this recipe is like the 200 level version of that one. You see, the base of this red pepper pasta sauce happens to be roasted peppers!
In addition to roasted reds, this dreamy sauce features onions, garlic, almond milk, and fresh basil and parsley! It’s super creamy, sans the dairy, and has the most delicious sweet and savory taste that only roasted red peppers can provide.
So if you’re looking for an easy recipe for dinner tonight, whip up this veggie-loaded sauce to pour over freshly cooked pasta! You can add some peas, broccoli, or spinach to the pasta to increase the veggie factor of your dinner even more.
How to Make Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce
First, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Slice the red peppers in half, trim off the tops, and take out the seeds. Put them cut side down on the sheet.
Peel an onion and slice in half, then transfer it to the same baking sheet. Drizzle a little olive oil over the onion, but not over the peppers. Bake for ~25 minutes or until the peppers are charred on top. Remove from oven and let cool.
If I’m planning to eat this sauce right away with pasta, this is the point when I put a pot of water on the stove to boil.
When the peppers have cooled enough for you to touch them, run them under cold water over the sink and peel off the charred skin. Transfer them to a high-powered blender, like a Vitamix.
Add the cooked onion, and three cloves of minced garlic* to the blender. Blend until smooth, about 30 seconds.
*Note: the garlic is pictured on the baking sheet in the above photo, but it should not be roasted alongside the other veggies. It will burn that way.
At this point, if your water is boiling, add the pasta and cook according to package instructions.
Transfer the blended sauce to a large skillet, pour in the almond milk, and add the basil, parsley, salt, and pepper. Heat until bubbles begin to form, stirring occasionally.
Add the cooked pasta and mix until well coated. Serve with freshly grated parmesan and/or more herbs.
Possible Ingredient Substitutions
For best results, make the recipe with the ingredients I listed in this post and by following the recipe card. However, here are some substitutions you can make if you want to experiment with the flavor of the sauce:
- Roasted peppers and onion: You can used a jar of roasted red peppers instead of roasting them yourself. However, if you skip the roasting process, make sure to sautee your onion a bit so that it’s still cooked when you add it to the blender.
- Garlic: If you love garlic, feel free to add a few more cloves.
- Fresh herbs: You can sub fresh oregano for the basil or parsley, or just use one type of herb.
- Almond milk: Cow’s milk or cream would also work well in this recipe.
Storage and Reheating Tips
I recommend eating this sauce right away, but it can be stored in the fridge and reheated at a later time. Pour it in a skillet or saucepan and heat until it bubbles, then toss with pasta. You can also freeze this sauce and thaw it in the fridge before reheating.
If you make this recipe, be sure to rate and review it in the comments below, and don’t forget to tag @its_a_vegworld_afterall on Instagram! Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
For other comforting pasta recipes, check out:
- One Pot Mushroom Spaghetti
- One Pot Pumpkin Tomato Pasta
- Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce with Fresh Herbs
- Spaghetti Stuffed Bell Peppers
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce
- 2 red bell peppers – sliced in half, tops and seeds removed
- 1 onion – peeled, trimmed, and sliced in half
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic – minced; more to taste
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp fresh basil – chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley – chopped
- 1/4 tsp sea salt – more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pasta – for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Place the pepper halves cut side down on the sheet. Put the sliced onion on there too. Drizzle the olive oil over the onion, but not the peppers. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until the peppers are charred and tender. Remove from oven and let cool.
- If you are making pasta to go with this recipe, boil your pot of water now.
- Once the peppers are cool enough for you to touch them (should only take a few minutes), run them under cold water and remove the charred skin. Transfer them to a blender, and add the onion and garlic. Blend for ~30 seconds or until smooth.
- Add the pasta to your boiling water. Transfer the blended sauce to a large skillet over low heat and add the almond milk, basil and parsley, salt and pepper. Stir and heat until the pasta is finished. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and stir until it's coated in the sauce. If you are making the sauce for later, let it cool and then transfer to an airtight container for the fridge or freezer.
Remember to pin this vegan, no cream Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce now to make later!
Have a great weekend!