Learn how to shave Brussels sprouts using just a chef’s knife and cutting board! This post includes tips for making perfectly shredded Brussels sprouts without a mandoline or food processor, recommended equipment, and a step-by-step video.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
Shredded Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite ingredients to add to salads in the fall and winter. They’re so delicious and nutritious, and did you know you can make them right in your own kitchen?
Sure, a lot of stores sell shaved Brussels sprouts in the produce section, but it’s usually cheaper to make them yourself. AND it’s SO easy to do so! You don’t even need a mandoline or food processor. These tools can be helpful if you have them, but a trusty chef’s knife and a cutting board work just as well.
Here’s how to shave Brussels sprouts with a knife at home. Be sure to check out the video (<45 seconds) in the recipe card, too!
How to Make Shaved (Shredded) Brussels Sprouts
- Rinse the Brussels sprouts under running water. Remove any wilted or damaged outer leaves.
- Cut each Brussels sprout in half lengthwise.
- Cut each half crosswise into thin strips.
- Discard the ends, and peel apart the strips.
And there you have it — how to shave Brussels sprouts in four simple steps!
To make shredded Brussels sprouts, you need a sharp knife and a cutting board that doesn’t slip. I use a Shun Cutlery chef’s knife, and it is my all time favorite kitchen tool. Seriously, it is really worth the investment! In my opinion, a sharp knife is a safe knife.
I would much rather invest in a knife that stays extremely sharp and makes it SO easy to slice and dice veggies. Personally, I feel more prone to accidents when using a dull knife.
For my cutting board, I use these bamboo boards from Martha Stewart. They have rubber stoppers on the bottom, so they never slip.
Ways to Use Shaved Brussels Sprouts
I love making my Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Dates, especially for the holidays. Now that you know how to shave Brussels sprouts, you can make them all the time to throw into salads or saute with olive oil, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese (my fav!).
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
How to Shave Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- Rinse the sprouts under water and pat dry. Remove any wilted or damaged outer leaves.
- Slice each sprout in half lengthwise, then cut each half crosswise into thin strips. Discard the ends, and pull apart the strips with your fingers.
- Shaved Brussels sprouts can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Use them for my Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Dates, or saute them with olive oil, lemon juice, and parmesan for a quick side dish.
Enjoy your sprouts! – Lizzie