Colorful and nutritious, this healthy Strawberry Banana Beet Smoothie recipe makes a delicious snack, dessert, or breakfast! In addition to the beet and fruit, it contains protein-packed Greek yogurt and a pitted date for a little sweetness.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
Even though we can probably all agree that beets have a beautiful color, not everyone loves their earthy taste. But trust me on this one, friends. This Strawberry Banana Beet Smoothie features the perfect combination of flavors.
The bananas, strawberries, and date add just the right amount of sweetness to counteract the earthy beet, while the yogurt contributes a little bit of tanginess. Plus, the protein in the Greek yogurt gives this smoothie some staying power.
Overall, it’s a filling, vibrant, and super nutritious beverage that you can sip on while you answer morning emails or after a hard workout (beets are super good for recovery!). I hope this beet smoothie becomes a staple recipe for you!
Expert Tips for Strawberry Banana Beet Smoothie
- Can you put raw beets in a smoothie? Yes, you can! I have no problem blending raw beets in my Vitamix, and you can blend them in blenders that are not as high-powered too. Just make sure you peel and dice the beets before blending. If you’re worried that your blender won’t be able to handle them, roast the beets before making the recipe instead or use pre-cooked beets like Love Beets.
- Blend the date with some water before adding the rest of the ingredients. Sometimes dates do not blend well with other ingredients. The first time I made this recipe, there were large pieces of my date left in the smoothie even after I blended it for over a minute. To prevent this from happening, add the date to the blender first with a little water and blend until it’s mostly pulverized. Soaking dates in warm water for about 10 minutes before blending also helps. Alternatively, you can omit the date and/or sweeten the smoothie with a teaspoon of maple syrup instead.
- You can prep your Strawberry Banana Beet Smoothie in advance and keep it in an airtight jar in the fridge for 1 to 2 days. The recipe makes two smoothies, so this is a great tip if you’re cooking for one!
More Beet Recipes
If you’re looking for more culinary creations that use beets, check out the Fudgy Beet Brownies, Naturally Pink Beet Waffles, Rosemary Honey Slow Cooker Beets, and Unsweetened Applesauce with Veggies. For more smoothies, check out the Green Pea Smoothie with Mint, Tropical Swiss Chard Smoothie, and Avocado Mango Green Smoothie with Spinach.
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Strawberry Banana Beet Smoothie
- 1 cup beets - peeled and diced
- 1 banana
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 pitted Medjool date
- ½ cup water - more as needed
- To make sure the date gets fully blended, add just the date and water to the blender first and blend until mostly smooth (soaking the date in warm water before blending also works). Add the beets, banana, strawberries, and Greek yogurt. Blend until smooth, stopping to add water as needed to promote blending. Enjoy!
- You can omit the date if you do not have one on hand. Use a teaspoon of maple syrup or honey as a sweetener instead, but you may not need it since the smoothie is pretty sweet thanks to the fruit!
- You can prep this recipe 1 to 2 days in advance and store in an airtight jar or container in the fridge.
- Most blenders can easily blend chopped raw beets, but you can also use roasted beets if necessary. Pre-cooked beets like Love Beets are a great option.
Have a beautiful and colorful day! – Lizzie