A celery smoothie may sound odd, but it’s delicious—trust me! This vegan variation uses green apple, banana, spinach, and avocado to yield a super green drink that’s full of benefits. Lemon, ginger, and vanilla round out the flavor profile.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
Did you catch my post a few months ago on How to Freeze Celery? If you followed my tips in that article, you’re in luck! I have a brand new recipe using frozen celery for you to try today.
It’s an ice cold beverage that goes down real smooth(ie)…a celery smoothie! I know what you may be thinking. “Does celery even taste good in a smoothie?”
The answer to that totally reasonable question is yes! But it all depends on what you pair with it. I used green apple, lemon, and ginger for some tangy, zesty notes that complement the earthy, mineral-like taste of celery. The banana and vanilla, on the other hand, contribute some sweetness, while the avocado and spinach boost the nutrient levels and green color.
The whole thing is downright delish. You’ll be looking for reasons to freeze leftover celery after you try this vegan celery smoothie!
Celery Smoothie Benefits
Since smoothies are loaded with fruits and vegetables, they are a great option for increasing your produce consumption. A higher intake of fruits and veggies is associated with better health and a lower risk of many diseases. Celery, in particular, has a high water content and contains many health-promoting compounds.
If you are familiar with the growing trend of drinking celery juice, you may be wondering about the differences between a celery smoothie vs. juice. A celery smoothie will usually contain more ingredients and have much more fiber than a celery juice. While both can be a healthy addition to a balanced diet, neither one is the cure-all that some people claim them to be.
How to Make a Celery Smoothie
Scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and instructions. Here are my tips for making a celery smoothie.
- Use frozen celery for best results. It blends better than fresh celery and will make your smoothie refreshingly cold.
- Add a leafy green, such as spinach, to give the smoothie a vibrant color.
- For a creamy texture, add avocado.
- To sweeten the smoothie, use fresh fruits like apple and banana.
- Enjoy the smoothie right away if you can. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for a day or two, but a freshly made smoothie tastes best.
More Smoothie Recipes
Love this celery smoothie? Check out the Cucumber Smoothie with Pineapple and Banana, Green Pea Smoothie with Mint, Cherry Chocolate Cauliflower Smoothie, and Avocado Mango Smoothie with Spinach while you’re here!
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
- 1 cup chopped celery - preferably frozen
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 green apple - cored and cut into chunks
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ avocado
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Dash vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Add about ¾ to 1 cup water. Blend until smooth, and enjoy!
- This smoothie is best enjoyed right away, but you can keep leftovers in a sealed jar or container in the fridge if desired. They should last a day or two.
Enjoy this refreshing drink! – Lizzie
Leave a Reply