This beautiful Watermelon Radish Salad has a pleasantly crunchy texture and irresistible citrus thyme dressing. Tart Granny Smith apples, crunchy celery, spicy radishes, and chewy farro contribute unique and delicious flavors. AND you can even prep this winter salad with watermelon radish in advance!
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see the affiliate disclosure.
Watermelon radishes may honestly be the most beautiful vegetable that nature has to offer! With white-green skin and radiant pink flesh (literally, it looks like there’s a pink, radiating sun in the middle of each slice), they add a great pop of color.
And, sometimes, the drab white-based dishes of winter need a little color! Don’t ya think? My quest to brighten up my February meals is what inspired this Watermelon Radish Salad with Citrus Thyme Dressing.
It’s a winner for many reasons, including the variety of crunchy, satisfying ingredients that make up the base of the salad. You can serve it as a seasonal side dish for dinner, or bulk it up with beans, eggs, or another lean protein for lunch.
I think you’re going to love it! So, go on, check it out :-). And if you’re looking for another recipe for watermelon radishes, check out the Watermelon Radish with Rosemary Brown Butter while you’re here.
Seriously, how pretty are these? Every time I slice one open, I smile at that fuchsia center. Every. Single. Time. But you already know I am a vegetable nerd, so what else is new?!
How to Make Watermelon Radish Salad
- Cook farro according to package instructions.
- While it’s cooking, use a mandoline or very sharp knife to cut the watermelon radishes into thin slices. Chop up the celery and Granny Smith apples.
- Combine the cooked farro and other ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the citrus thyme dressing, pour on top, and mix until coated.
Expert Tips for Watermelon Radish Salad
- FYI: Watermelon radishes do not taste like watermelon. They taste spicy like a normal radish.
- Trader Joe’s sells quick cooking farro, which is the bomb and cooks in 10 minutes. Would highly recommend. If you don’t have quick cooking farro, it takes about 25-35 minutes to cook. No big deal either way. You can also substitute barley, bulgur, freekeh, or even quinoa.
- Watermelon Radish Salad keeps very well in the fridge, even if it’s already been dressed. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To make it last even longer, store the dressing and salad separate, and add the dressing right before you eat it.
- Serve as a side or main dish, with added white beans or chickpeas for more protein. It also tastes good with hard boiled eggs and shredded chicken.
Those are all the tips I’ve got! This recipe is super easy!
More Healthy Salad Recipes
For some other delicious salads, check out the Winter Grain Salad with Shaved Brussels, Roasted Pumpkin Salad with Apple Cider Dressing, Kale Radicchio Salad with Sourdough Croutons, and Maple Swiss Chard Salad. Oh, and the Purple Radish Salad with Sesame Dressing should totally be the next radish recipe you try!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! Please rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments section. And don’t forget to subscribe to the weekly newsletter.
Watermelon Radish Salad with Citrus Thyme Dressing
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 3 watermelon radishes - thinly sliced using a mandoline or sharp knife
- 1 stalk celery - sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple - diced
- Combine the cooked farro, watermelon radishes, celery, and apples in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, orange and lemon juices, honey, shallots, and fresh thyme. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and mix until coated.
- The prep time for this recipe does not include cooking time for the farro. Cook the farro according to package instructions (1 cup dry=2 cups cooked). Look for quick cooking farro to cut back on prep time. You can substitute barley, bulgur, or quinoa.
- Serve as a side, or add white beans, chickpeas, hard boiled eggs, or shredded chicken for a complete meal.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can make this salad in advance, but wait to dress it until right before serving.
This post for Watermelon Radish Salad was originally published in February 2018. It was updated in February 2020 with new photos and expert tips.
Have a great week! – Lizzie