These healthy cucumber canapes make a great vegetarian appetizer for a crowd or party. This finger food is easy to prep ahead of time and features a delicious whipped feta with dill!
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
In the culinary world, is there anything cuter than bite size food? I don’t think so!
When I was planning content for all of you this summer, I wanted to focus on recipes that were refreshing and light but also fun and adventurous. Since so many of us are spending more time at home and cooking more often, I figured we could all use some dishes that add variety to the usual routine!
That’s how I settled on making a recipe for cucumber canapes. If you’re unfamiliar with the term “canape,” it’s a French word for finger foods that are often decorative and served cold.
My take on canapes features crunchy cucumber slices topped with a dollop of whipped feta made with Greek yogurt. I grated some fresh lemon zest on top, added a few cracks of black pepper, and topped each one with a sprig of dill. There’s a ton of flavor for such a tiny food!
How to Make Cucumber Canapes
- Peel a large cucumber and slice it into 1/2-inch circles.
- In a blender, combine the ingredients for the whipped feta, and blend until smooth. Next, I like to pour the whipped feta into a plastic bag and then use scissors to cut off a small piece of a corner of the bag. This yields a makeshift pastry bag that you can use to “pipe” the feta on top of each cucumber slice.
Make sure to top each canape with a sprig of fresh dill! I also like to use a microplane grater to add some lemon zest.
Can you make these in advance?
Cucumber canapes are really easy to prep in advance to serve at a later time. However, I recommend making them within three hours of when you plan to serve them.
This will prevent them from getting soggy. Place on a serving tray or plate and cover with plastic wrap before storing in the fridge.
Feel free to add your own accoutrements (I’m really on a roll here with the French words!) to this recipe, too. You can garnish the cucumber canapes with fresh basil or parsley and even add a piece of dried fruit, like a cranberry or cherry.
Of course, these make a great appetizer for a party or holiday gathering, but they can also be served for your own family as a snack after school or work! The world is your oyster with this one, friends.
Looking for another appetizer while you’re here? Check out the Stuffed Endive Appetizer with Blue Cheese and Apple!
More Cucumber Recipes
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
- Slice the peeled cucumbers into 1/2-inch circles. Place on a serving platter or tray.
- In a blender, combine the feta cheese, yogurt, garlic, and dill. Blend until smooth, adding a dash of water as needed to promote blending. Pour the whipped feta into a plastic bag. Seal the bag and use scissors to cut off a small piece from one of the bag's bottom corners. This will create a makeshift piping bag. Squeeze a small amount of the whipped feta onto each cucumber slice.
- Garnish the canapes with fresh lemon zest, black pepper, and sprigs of fresh dill.
- You can prep these up to 3 hours in advance. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until you plan to serve them.
Happy eating! – Lizzie