For a delicious way to prepare beautiful romanesco, look no further than this Garlic and Lemon Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower!
Photos and recipe for this Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower updated 10/12/17. Original writing remains.
You arrive late to a dinner party, eager to indulge in the delicious meal [insert family member or friend who is an amazing cook] has prepared for the evening.
Cocktail hour is almost over, but before you can stomach your first glass of Chardonnay, you must grab one of the h’ordeuvres everyone is flaunting on their itty bitty napkins.
You make your way to the appetizer table, but in an instant, your hopes are crushed. Amongst empty trays and dishes, a measly run-of-the-mill crudité tray stares back at you. And the only veggie left? Cauliflower. Party fail.
Needless to say, cauliflower gets a pretty bad rep. You know, with its bland taste and weird smell and everything.
Believe me, I used to agree with all of the criticisms against this cruciferous vegetable. Until today, that is!
Romanesco cauliflower (also known as romanesco broccoli or just romanesco) is a cruciferous veggie and member of the brassica family. This means it’s a cousin of broccoli, cauliflower, kale, and cabbage.
On first glance, you may think it’s part alien, but once you take a closer look at its intricate design, you’ll realize just how beautiful it is!
But romanesco is more than just pretty looks. Roasting this veggie brings out a flavor reminiscent of the best aspects of both broccoli and cauliflower. Roasted romanesco (especially with lemon and garlic) is an amazing addition to any meal.
Ready to try it yet?!
If you answered yes, you may be wondering where to find it! I seem to have the best luck finding romanesco at farmers markets starting at the end of September and through November. Now that you know where to look, let’s get cooking!
For some other easy vegetable side dishes, check out:
- Simple Charred Broccoli and Red Onion
- Honey Sriracha Brussels Sprouts
- Baked Orange Sesame Cauliflower
- Chili Sesame Sautéed Broccolini
- Mango Cucumber Salad
Garlic and Lemon Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower
Roasted romanesco cauliflower is incredibly tasty, especially with added lemon and garlic. You will want to eat the whole tray! Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and paleo.
- 2 cups romanesco florets approximately 1 head
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp lemon zest plus a little more, to taste
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place florets on the parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil and crushed garlic. Mix everything around with a spatula.
- Grate the lemon zest over these cruciferous beauties and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
Bake for ~20 minutes, or until tender and browned.
- Serve warm, topped with more lemon zest to taste.
Pin this Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower now to make later!
Mmmmm. I can’t stop eating them!