A raw broccoli salad with peanut dressing that uses the entire broccoli plant – florets, stalks, and leaves. It’s finished with dried tart cherries and fresh mint.
Broccoli salad is such a good side dish for dinner, lunch, cookouts, parties…you name it. And there’s so much you can do to it to spice it up!
I always enjoy making a new variety of broccoli salad during the summertime (hence, my Healthy Greek Yogurt Broccoli Salad from this time last year), and the inspiration for this one came to me when I was browsing Pinterest a couple of months ago.
I saw a pin from Bon Appetit for a broccoli salad recipe with dried tart cherries and a peanut dressing. This sounded like an amazing flavor combination, and I knew that I could put my own twist on it!
So that’s how this No Waste Broccoli Salad with Peanut Dressing came to be. It incorporates the same main ingredients as the Bon Appetit one: broccoli, peanut, and cherries, but I included broccoli stalks and leaves in addition to florets, changed up the dressing, and added fresh mint.
Using florets, stalks, and leaves adds a variety of textures and shapes to the salad, which makes for a beautiful presentation. And the savory flavors in the dressing pair well with the cherries and mint.
I highly recommend it for Father’s Day this weekend. (See what I did there?!)
How to Make Broccoli Salad with Peanut Dressing
Since you keep the broccoli raw for this salad, the process is a breeze:
- Remove the leaves from the head of broccoli. Slice off the stalk, and pull off the florets. Use a swivel peeler to shave the stalk or slice it into small pieces with a knife.
- Whisk together creamy peanut butter, rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, water, garlic, and honey. To make the recipe vegan, use maple syrup or sugar instead of honey.
- Pour this over the broccoli, add some mint and dried cherries, and mix it up.
You can even prep the sauce in advance if you’re crunched for time! The finished salad can last in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
For other easy veggie salads/side dishes, check out:
- Italian Marinated Green Bean Salad
- Healthy Scallion Dill Potato Salad
- Mango Cucumber Salad
- Peanut Soba Noodles with Roasted Broccoli
No Waste Broccoli Salad with Peanut Dressing
- 2 heads broccoli – ~4 cups florets, leaves, and stalks
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup fresh mint – roughly chopped
- Wash the broccoli. Slice off the stalks and pull/slice off the florets. Add the florets and leaves to a large mixing bowl. Use a swivel peeler or sharp knife to shave or dice the stalk (for a variety of shapes/textures). Add the stalk pieces, dried cherries, and roughly chopped mint to the bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the creamy peanut butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, water, and garlic. If the dressing is not smooth, add water in tiny amounts until it gets to the consistency you want.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and mix until well coated. Enjoy!
Remember to pin this No Waste Broccoli Salad now to make later!
Happy hump day!