This fresh and easy side dish recipe features sautéed garlic butter green beans with herbs. It’s a delicious addition to a weeknight or holiday meal and takes just 20 minutes to prepare.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see my affiliate disclosure.
Earlier in the pandemic, I saw a tweet that said something along the lines of butter being an unsung hero during this time. Honestly, I couldn’t agree more! Just like flour and bread, butter is an age-old staple that’s making a comeback.
“But Lizzie…saturated fat!!!…calories!!!…isn’t butter terrible for us?” Slow down for just a moment. I’m not suggesting that we smother butter on every food we eat, I’m just admitting that butter has brought me a whole lot of comfort over the past five months. A little butter here and there isn’t the end of the world, trust me.
I’ve especially enjoyed mixing garlic into my butter recently, as evidenced by my Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese with Heirloom Tomato. That recipe is what sparked the idea for today’s Herb and Garlic Butter Green Beans.
This seasonal dish calls for fresh string beans, which are then cooked to perfection in a mix of butter, garlic, parsley, and dill. It’s simply wonderful!
How to Make Garlic Butter Green Beans
- Combine softened butter, chopped parsley and dill, minced garlic, and salt in a small bowl. Use a fork to mash the ingredients together.
- Wash, dry, and trim the green beans.
- In a large skillet, melt about half of the herb and garlic butter over medium heat. Add the green beans and cook for 7 to 10 minutes until tender and slightly browned. Serve with the remaining butter!
You can make the garlic butter several days ahead of time. Just keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to cook the green beans.
To save some prep time, you can usually find bagged green beans that are already washed and trimmed at the grocery store. If not, wash and trim the green beans in advance. Store them in between paper towels in a plastic bag or airtight container in the fridge.
Herb and Garlic Butter Green Beans are best enjoyed right away. I like to serve them with fish or burgers, like my Black Bean Beet Burger Recipe or Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burgers. They are incredibly versatile, though, and can go with almost any meal!
More Green Bean Recipes
If you love these garlic butter green beans, check out the following dishes:
- Italian Marinated Green Bean Salad
- Green Beans and Corn with Cider Vinegar and Herbs
- Healthier Green Bean Casserole with Almonds
- Healthy BBQ Green Beans
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Rate/review using the stars on the recipe card or in the comments, and follow the Veg World on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Looking for something totally different? Browse the recipe library.
Herb and Garlic Butter Green Beans
- 2 tbsp butter - softened
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley - chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill - chopped
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 pound green beans - washed, dried, and trimmed
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mash together the softened butter, garlic, parsley, dill, and salt. Set aside and prepare the green beans.
- Melt half of the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the green beans and cook, stirring occasionally for 7 to 10 minutes until tender and slightly browned.
- Remove from heat and serve with the rest of the garlic butter. Enjoy!
- Make the garlic and herb butter several days in advance to save time. Store in the fridge until you’re ready to make the recipe.
- This dish is best enjoyed right away and goes well with fish, burgers, or a holiday roast.
Have a great weekend! – Lizzie